Being diabetic is not easy. When I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I became very careful with what I put in my mouth. I can't eat lots of carbs such as rice, pasta, bread, sweets, and potatoes. I became very afraid of getting wound especially on my feet. I don't want my feet to be amputated. Part of caring of my feet includes following these tips:
Ogedengbe's tips for finding proper footwear.
- Avoid shoes with pointed toes.
- Don't buy shoes with too flat a sole or high heels because they don’t allow for even distribution of foot pressure.
- Look for styles that have soft insoles.
- Choose leather, canvas, or suede styles to allow adequate circulation of air. Don't buy plastic or other materials that don't allow the shoe to ''breathe."
- Look for such features as laces, buckles, or Velcro. These make it easier to adjust the shoe.